We are seeking a Building Envelope Consultant to provide technically sound solutions for existing building envelope failures and suggestions for new construction and rehabilitation projects for our property owner, developer, and contractor clients. In return for your talent and effort, we offer our full-time employees a competitive benefits package-including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, employer-matching 401(k), a flexible work schedule, and opportunities for advancement.
Ideally, you should have strong experience with:
- A strong understanding of both commercial and residential building envelope systems and the best materials choices based on type of design, location, and use of the building.
- A strong understanding of building science and the application of that knowledge to predicting and solving issues related to the building envelope.
- Design and construction of building envelope systems including glazing systems, cladding assemblies, insulation, air barriers, roofing systems and waterproofing systems.
- Creating required details and specifications using your knowledge of building codes and industry standards.
- Researching building code (historical and current).
- Field assessment and evaluation of building performance, to include working from ladders, lifts, scaffolds, swing stages, and rooftops.
A Typical Day:
- Conduct investigations and conditions assessments in order to determine appropriate repair of damaged and/or poorly performing building envelope systems.
- Provide litigation support, if necessary, related to field investigations and/or assessments.
- Research history of buildings and any associated code updates that should apply.
- Complete design assignments related to upgrades, maintenance, and restoration of existing buildings, as well as components of design related to new construction.
- Complete constructability and third party peer reviews of plans and specifications prepared by others.
- Manage projects and teams in both new and existing construction in a variety of envelope-related projects, assuring QA/QC in the final product.
- Manage multiple projects with deadlines, preparing technical condition reports, repair design, bid documents, addenda, change orders and other construction documentation.
- Ability to initiate, develop and maintain mutually beneficial client relationships.
What You Will Need:
- B.S. degree, or higher, in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Structural Engineering is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the design or investigation of building envelope systems, construction document preparation, construction administrative services, and/or project management of building construction.
- Registration as a Registered Architect or Professional Engineer is desired, but not required.
- Registered Roofing Consultant and/or Registered Wall Consultant designations are desired, but not required.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD is required, and proficiency with Building Information Modeling software is preferred.
- Good report writing skills with the ability to develop and commit to budgets, scopes, and deadlines.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with clients at all levels (e.g. internal and external), and work independently with good judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to travel in and out of state, occasionally out of country (typically England, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and Virgin Islands), on assignments (approximately 20%).
- Physical ability to perform all of the following functions is required: Climb ladders, walk on roofs, enter and work in confined spaces, work outdoors in hot or cold weather, and lift up to 50 pounds using necessary safety equipment.
- Perform duties that may require standing, walking, bending, kneeling, or squatting for prolonged periods of time.