Airgas, an Air Liquide company is Now Hiring
Safety and Compliance Specialist for our locations in Los Angeles Basin
Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is one of the nation's leading single-source suppliers of gases, welding and safety products. We recognize that it's the quality of our people that makes our success possible. Airgas operates in a culture focused on safety, innovation and customer service.
The Safety and Compliance Specialist ensures company compliance with environmental reporting and occupational safety by performing regular safety audits, new hire safety orientation, training and inspections of machinery, equipment and general working conditions. The incumbent will assist in Company investigation(s) and follow-up(s) relative to vehicle accidents and employee injuries, property damage, near miss incidents and customer incidents involving Airgas USA, LLC supplied products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensuring all associates are in compliance with local, state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules.
- Routinely inspecting and/or tour Company facilities to detect existing or potential health and safety hazards, and recommends corrective or preventive measures where indicated; performs periodic internal safety audits and assures that the results of these reviews are made available to the Director of Safety.
- Performing periodic safety, environmental, and other regulatory audits; prepares reports of findings with recommendations for corrective action.
- Assess and recommend controls to environmental aspects and impacts.
- Organize, file, and maintain large amounts of compliance related documentation and records.
- Participate on the Airgas AERO Team (responding to emergency situations as a HazMat Technician); must be certified or able to get a certification to wear Level "A" chemical suit and Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- Able to evaluate unsafe situations, conditions and behaviors of others during ride-a-longs, safety observations and site visits.
- Document and track observations and other tasks and activities to completion.
- Travels from site to site within assigned area (or others as needed) to conduct facility environmental and safety audits including but not limited to noise level testing, toxic fumes, OSHA and NFPA regulations and other safety hazards and violations.
- Reports findings and suggests corrections for any safety violations found.
- Monitors and assigns corrective actions for good catches and observations in assigned area.
- Investigates incidents for root cause(s) and propose preventive/corrective measures.
- Demonstrates proper use of safety equipment.
- Review and confirm/update of all licenses and permit information.
- Review training files for all associates.
- Maintain the Intelex (software reporting/tracking system) data base for training, incident and injury reporting, testing, auditing and inspections.
- Assist and review training and mentoring of all new hires on Airgas safety policies and procedures as well as any government required regulations.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Minimum 2 years experience managing mandatory reports and regulations with the following agencies required: DOT, EPA, CUPA, CERS, AQMD, SWPPP, FDA, DTSC
- Must have reliable, appropriate transportation (Must maintain a valid driver license).
- Be committed to safety and team excellence.
- Be personable, professional, responsive, and bring value to the customer's business.
- Have at least an Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school with emphasis on Safety or at least 3 years of related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Be successful at building and maintaining strong customer service relationships.
- Exercise strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Be willing to travel throughout their assigned areas with occasional overnight travel.
- Be able to work individually and in team environments.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and equipment.
- Ability to routinely lift & move up 25 - 40 lbs. up to 10 feet away. May occasionally be required to lift and move over 60 lbs. with assistance.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock.
- Job requires visitation to various Airgas and customer sites, which have varying environments/conditions, layouts, and accessibility. Including but not limited to unpaved and uneven surfaces, hot/cold temperatures/climates and varying noise levels.
- Frequent regional travel.
- Occasional overnight travel.
Airgas offers a full benefits package includes: