Design Managers work with a team of engineers to contribute to the design and constructability on projects of varying industries, size and complexity. He/she is part of the Walbridge Engineering Management Team in support of both the Estimating and Operations Teams on process focused projects. This responsibility will continue through completion of design documents will be available to support Operations during negotiations of design changes and extra work. The Design Manager may be assigned to support one or more projects at a time, and leads the engineering effort through the following project phases: Proposal, Design, Permitting and Construction phases.
Design Managers focus on leading a complex project and winning the work.
We want you to join our team.
Through industry-leading innovation our company has forged a legacy of quality and safety since our founding in 1916.
What we offer:
Large organization with award-winning projects, yet small enough for you to have an impact
Strong values which are the foundation of our growth for over 100 years
International, regional and local recognition for stand-out projects, safety, sustainability, culture, wellness and diversity practices
This position can be based out of any Walbridge office, or you can live in any US city if you are able to travel 100%.
The Design Manager will be part of the Walbridge Management Team and will support both the Estimating and Operations Teams.
This responsibility starts with proposals and will continue through completion of design documents. Design Manager will be available to support Operations during negotiations of design changes and extra work. The Design Manager may be assigned to a support one or more projects at a time.
PROPOSAL PHASE, DESIGN PHASE and PERMITTING PHASES
Be responsible to manage/drive the design process, including extracting information form the owner, and design partners.
Lead design and provide Value Engineering ideas while reviewing constructability and identifying risks. Negotiate contract with Design Professional (including scope of services) and participate in subcontractor/ equipment vendor scope clarification and buy-out meetings. Lead Design Meetings with Customer / Owner, and document with Meeting Minutes.
- Develop and monitor open issues during design phase
- Manage Multiple user groups and engineers to identify scope
- Provide Value Engineering evaluation of conceptual design
- Provide direction to Design Professionals and Design Builders during the design phase (through issuance of Issued for Construction Drawings)
- Document meetings with Owner, Design Professionals and subcontractors during the design phase (through issuance of Issued for Construction Drawings
- Prepare Design Control Plan for inclusion in Job Site Quality Program (JSQP)
- Monitor and Control implementation of Design Control Plan (DCP)
- Assist with Clarification of the Basis of Design documents by coordinating submission of Requests for Information (RFI’s)
- Support site plan approval efforts, and reviews by city engineers, Fire Marshall (local and state), utilities and water and sewer departments, if applicable
- Coordinate with Walbridge Technologies VDC Group
Support effort to obtain all required building permits (for phased design).
- Assist with field troubleshooting and change order negotiation
- Provide contract clarification to determine out-of-scope client requests
- Assist with change order negotiations with subcontractors, subcontractors, and Design Professionals
- Assist with preparation of validation criteria for facility launch
- Accumulate and document in central database
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture degree is required or equivalent professional experience and training.
- Knowledge of construction engineering technology, codes, standards, etc., required. Prior construction site work, skilled trades or experience highly preferred.
Minimum 10 years related experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, plus demonstrated ability to participate and LEAD a team of varied disciplines.
- Knowledge Microsoft Office and Bluebeam required.
- Knowledge of Primavera and/or MS Project scheduling software is a plus.
- Ability to travel.
- LEED and or WELL Accreditation preferred.
- RA or PE preferred.
EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V
Walbridge is an equal opportunity employer with a culture that promotes diversity in the workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, status as an individual with a disability, military, or protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning career development, recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, promotions, or any other condition of employment.