Lutheran Social Services of WI and Upper MI is currently seeking a part-time Cook to join our team at Green Bay Veterans Affairs Program. The Cook will be responsible for preparing healthy meals and performing light housekeeping tasks as well as taking unit requests for veteran residents with special dietary needs while following USDA and FDA guidelines.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to work limited hours a few days a week. The role is 24 hours per week.
Under supervision, prepares and cooks meals and/or performs housekeeping and maintenance duties. Also performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- May plan menus and orders food, paper products, and cleaning supplies.
- Takes routine inventory of utensils, supplies, and equipment and makes reports as required.
- May assist with inventory and ordering of food, paper products and cleaning supplies
- Receives deliveries, date marks reviews quality of food items delivered and stocks items in their proper places and makes reports as required.
- Prepares food items in accordance with the planned menus and standardized recipes, makes adjustments as needed in consultation with the supervisor or peers
- Operates machinery and appliances used in large scale cooking such as mixers, ovens, slicers, and coffee urns.
- Cleans, maintains, and sanitizes work areas, utensils, appliances, and other kitchen equipment.
- Organizes and directs the assembly and set up for distribution of meals to the facilities.
- Establishes and maintains effective public and working relationships.
- May sweep floors, stairs, and entry ways, dry and wet mops floors, empties wastebaskets and litter containers, and cleans and sanitizes toilets, sinks, etc.
- May assemble and organize ingredients or partially prepare meals for final preparation by others.
- Participates as a member of a quality team and interacts with primary, external and internal customers of the agency in such a way that the customer experiences increasing quality.
- May direct the work of others assigned to food preparation and reports any problems to supervision.
- May assist with the training of new staff.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Mileage reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Service Awards and Recognition
- Ability to Contribute to 403B
- Employee Assistance Program
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Upon offer, candidates must successfully complete the necessary background, caregiver, medical and any other checks required, according to program requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalency is preferred.
- Completion of Food Preparation Assistant course is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the USDA School Meal Programs is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the methods, principles, equipment, and materials used in institutional food preparation.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, health, and occupational safety procedures utilized in institutional food preparation.
- Dependent on program, 4 hours of additional food safety training may be required annually
- Ability to operate and maintain food service equipment and kitchen machinery.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions, menus, and recipes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective public, working relationships and good customer service skills.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine records and reports.
- Ability to perform manual labor.
TRAVEL: No travel is required for this position.
LSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.