Substation P&C Engineer - Philadelphia, PA
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Substation P&C Engineer to join our team in our Philadelphia, PA office. The Lead Substation Engineer (LSE) serves as a lead engineer on electric substation design projects for high-voltage utility systems and renewable energy interconnection projects. He/she will apply NESC, NEC, and other applicable codes and standards in the engineering design and will also independently produce: one line diagrams, three line diagrams, potential and current schematics, control schematics, alarm schematics, protection and control specifications, and I/O mapping. He/she should be familiar with protection scheme functionality. However, ability to develop relay settings and associated points mapping is not required, but preferred. He/she will also work with other internal and external project stakeholders to ensure project milestones and expectations of contracted services are met. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and performs all aspects of design for high voltage (4kV - 230kV) and EHV (above 230kV) substation projects to include:
- Development of
- One-line diagrams
- Three-line diagrams
- Potential and current schematics
- Control schematics
- Alarm schematics
- Communications schematics
- Protection and control specifications
- I/O mapping
- Points mapping (Preferred)
- Relay settings (Preferred)
- Documentation for Design Calculations
- Construction Documentation (Sequence and RFP)
- Technical Support
- Active Coordination
- Ability to work seamlessly with a Wiring Designer to develop the above listed schematics as well as the associated wiring diagrams.
- Ability to coordinate efforts with other various external and internal project team members, with familiarity in identifying when coordination is needed with certain design disciplines such as transmission line engineers, distribution line engineers, telecom engineers, etc.
- Other Expectations
- Leverages experience by mentoring and training lower level professionals including top graduates entering the field of substation design.
- Keenly focused on production of high-quality work and supports continuous improvement efforts.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects.
- Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments and serves as the responsible charge for a project.
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers and may determine the key clients in some instances.
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work.
- Serves as a technical specialist for P&C substation design and has knowledge and skillset to provide consultation and guidance to project teams.
- Remove any impediments that are obstructing the engineering team from achieving its goals.
- Works to advise Management about how to maximize ROI for the team.
- Attending all client technical review meetings.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from a recognized accredited program
- Minimum of 8 years related work experience in the field of high voltage substation design - P&C
- EIT Certification
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD or Bentley Microstation.
- Strong familiarity with the NEC and National Electrical Safety Code
- Good knowledge of the industry and technology trends specific to substations.
Preferred Interpersonal Skills:
- Meet minimum qualification
- Professional engineer license or ability to obtain one within 2 years of higher.
- Experience in developing relay settings.
- Experience in protection device coordination.
- Proficient in use of ASPEN One Liner, CYME Dist, or similar programs.
- Knowledge of construction practices and constructability, procurement and contract administration, and estimating. Working knowledge of scheduling and project controls processes.
- Superior Verbal & Written Communications
- Driven for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2018, Westwood received Zweig Group's Best Firms to Work For and Marketing Excellence awards, ranked on industry top 25 lists, and received recognition for its involvement on award-winning projects nationwide.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.