Serves as financial and clerical support responsible for directly and independently assisting legal assistants and Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSA) by providing a wide variety of financial and clerical work. This assistance requires knowledge of the federal government's Federal Travel Regulation, Title 5, CFR 1315 (Prompt Payment Act) and the federal government's account payable process. Clerk must possess clerical and administrative office skills utilizing Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Microsoft Excel.
Primary Functions/Work Responsibilities:
- Provides a variety of financial, clerical and administrative support assistance services.
- Maintains a variety of fiscal information, files and records for the purpose of ensuring comprehensive and accurate data compliance with prescribed accounting systems and generally accepted principles of accounting.
- Performs recordkeeping and general clerical functions in support of departmental/program operations.
- Processes a variety of fiscal information for the purpose of updating information, completing financial transactions and ensuring timely and accurate submissions.
- Reviews bills for discrepancy and adherence to the Prompt Payment Act and submits for approval.
- Researches financial information and/or documentation for the purpose of ensuring adherence to procedures prior to processing payments.
- Responds to inquiries, including phone, walk-ins for the purpose of resolving issues.
- Provides requested information and/or refer questions to appropriate department personnel.
- Reviews travel authorizations and vouchers to ensure adherence to the Federal Travel Regulation. Prepares travel authorizations and vouchers as needed.
- Determines which matters should be referred to the AUSA and the urgency of the matter.
- Serves as backup front desk receptionist in the absence of primary receptionist. Serves as backup for mail clerk.
- Prepares and types correspondence, memoranda, and reports on administrative matters from handwritten notes or drafts.
- Produces a variety of written documents and materials utilizing a wide range of office software applications.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to use, understand and maintain directories, personnel lists and other guides and references.
- Skill in meeting and dealing with people in a courteous and tactful manner. Skill in operating a telephone answering system.
- Skill in operating a personal computer, electronic typewriter or dedicated word processor using a standard typewriter style keyboard with additional function keys to produce a wide range of documents.
- A qualified typist is required.
Essential Job Requirements:
Must be a U.S. citizen. Must have the ability to prove U.S. citizenship.
Security Requirement: Successfully pass a Background Investigation (BI).
Reference Requirement: Provide at least three (3) professional references that can provide work-related information to the type of work described in this position.
Must have lived in the United States three of the last five years immediately prior to the start of performance on this position, and/or worked for the United States overseas in a federal or military capacity, and/or be a dependent of a Federal or military employee serving overseas.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Cognitive Professional Services Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such abides by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Cognitive Professional Services Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation, please send an email to Recruiting@cog-ps.com or call (703) 562-0554 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.