Date: Feb 13, 2020
Location:Washington, DC, US, 20036
Company: American Chemical Society
Division and Unit Overview
The Washington IT Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its members and the worldwide scientific community a comprehensive collection of high-quality information products and services for the practice and advancement of the chemical sciences. The Society and Administrative Technology (SAT) department is responsible for the Society and Administration systems and applications within the Wash IT Division. Through the use of industry best practices, it is our responsibility for providing high quality, highly available, intuitive and secure applications to support ACS members, volunteers, and ACS staff. We intend to exceed the expectations of our business partners by anticipating, understanding and validating their business needs; providing useful, cost-effective solutions and support in a timely manner; adhering to established guidelines and standards; and continuously adapting to the evolving environment.
The Program/Project Manager is responsible for managing assigned SAT projects, utilizing and adhering to Project Management and Agile best practices as defined by PMI and established department policies to ensure successful completion of projects. This position oversees multiple concurrent projects of varying size and complexity, in a designated application area, to provide centralized IT project management support to selected areas of the business. The ideal candidate will have a blend of program and project manager skills and will excel at team building and collaboration, process improvement, and communication. The candidate must have experience in the Agile methodology and related management tools for Agile development operations (e.g., JIRA).
Work design: Manages a program area, and shapes the approach to get the desired outcomes through to delivery. Follows established organizational policies. Develops procedures; recommends policies. Decisions involve translating the Division’s goals and objectives, defined work assignments and projects; conducting and implementing actions; and short-term planning.
* Ability to run programs/projects using Agile or Waterfall Methodologies
* Leads the overall approach for the program and project delivery, including major time frames and the definition of its major deliverables to address and meet the desired goals and outcomes of the key stakeholders.
* Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business objectives in collaboration with senior management, portfolio managers and stakeholders.
* Work effectively with SAT staff and business partners to understand and inform project management and planning assumptions, scope, costs, benefits, risks and constraints.
. Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
* Leads regular interactions with the steering committees and project teams. Informs, alerts, negotiates and maintains a continuing good relationship and shared vision for the program outcome.
* Effectively communicate project expectations and progress to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion; convene meetings and plan agenda to ensure key issues are aired and resolved.
* Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and vendors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
* Establishes and ensures appropriate governance functions for the program in accordance with ACS and SAT policies, practices and on behalf of the executive sponsor(s).
* Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
* Work with resource managers and technical experts to estimate, negotiate and prioritize resource availability and allocations.
* Ensure measures are taken in projects to increase quality and mitigate risk, including risk analyses, impact assessment, code reviews, test planning and execution, fallback plans, and deployment plans.
* Acts as an advisor, and builds and maintains relationships across the wider stakeholder community.
* Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential risks, and devise contingency plans.
* Leads the oversight of program projects' execution, their progress compared with the plan and the production of agreed deliverables.
* Ensure compliance with all departmental standards and policies for change and project management.
* Monitors and coordinates dependencies across the projects/program and resolves conflicts.
College degree or equivalent experience; usually has an advanced degree (relevant field) or equivalent experience. 10+ years of related experience. Degree in Information Systems, Computer science preferred. PMP and Agile Scrum Certification is highly desired. Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills required. Excellent writing and editing skills are also required.
Strong technical background: hands-on agile scrum methodology experience is a must, experience with a Project Management Methodology and working with matrix team required
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Project Manager, Information Systems, Computer Science, Technology