Planned Parenthood North Central States
Clinic Assistant – Twin Cities
Spanish Bilingual Preferred
Starting Wage: $15/hour base pay - $16/hour for Bilingual
At Planned Parenthood North Central States (PPNCS), we believe all people deserve the right, the freedom and the opportunity to follow their personal ambitions and choose their own path toward a healthier, more meaningful life. That’s why we protect, promote and provide comprehensive and progressive sexual and reproductive health care for generations of young people and families with empathy, care and respect. We are looking for passionate, dedicated staff who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and to the Planned Parenthood mission.
Under immediate supervision of the Clinic Manager or Clinic Supervisor, the Clinic Assistant performs a wide variety of functions. As the first patient contact in the health center, the Clinic Assistant plays a critical role in shaping the experience of our patients. Clinic Assistants are responsible for providing the highest level of customer service and patient care as well as supporting the operations of the health center. Clinic Assistants are advocates in implementing our mission of “Affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.” Perform other related duties to support clinical operations.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Welcome all patients and visitors. Register patients for health center services. Answer phones, direct calls and reach out to patients as needed. Perform computer data entry, including patient demographics, insurance information, and appointment scheduling.
- Ensure all patients receive unbiased patient support and assistance, assess patient questions and direct to appropriate resources.
- Maintain patient medical record and obtain patient consent for forms as necessary. Appropriately handle requests for patient medical records.
- Collect, assess and verify patient financial information, determine and confirm insurance coverage. Comply with all funding source requirements. Assess funding sources, aid patients in applying for and obtaining funding. Provide patients with resources for insurance navigation, financial counselling and community sliding scale health centers.
- Accurately inform patients of potential costs for services. Assess and collect patient fees. Reconcile, prepare and make bank deposits. Comply with all aspects of the cash handling policies.
- Prepare charge tickets for clinical staff coding. Charge post for clinical services and review charges for accuracy. Perform and reconcile charge reports.
- Ensure all patients are provided with information regarding contributions and are asked for a contribution at the time of checkout. Provide a summary of services for the transaction.
- Ensure all patients are asked to complete patient experience surveys.
- Follow all federal, state and local laws regarding mandated reporting, abortion services, healthcare services and HIPAA.
- Perform all inventory functions. Process and stock clinical supplies that are received.
- Perform in-health center refill and resupply requests within scope of practice.
- Supports and participates in:
- Common teamwork; Cooperates and works together with all co-workers
- Uses tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations demonstrating compassion, empathy and dignity for all
- Ability to use de-escalation techniques to manage difficult situations
- Follows up as appropriate with supervisor, co-workers and patients regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns
- Promotes positive public image and relations of PPNCS
- Completes requirements for acceptable attendance and timeliness to work. Adheres to policies in employee handbook, completes other work duties as assigned.
- Must be committed toward making the Planned Parenthood front desk a safe, affirming space, by appropriately communicating with patients and honoring patient identities.
Full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Tentative schedule: Mon, Wed & Fri - 9:30am - 4:30pm Tues & Thurs 11:30am - 6:30pm
This position is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, long-term disability, life insurance, PTO, extended illness leave, volunteer time off, paid holidays, and 403(b) retirement plan.
Physical Work Intensity & Work Environment
Level 1, Sedentary – Physical requirements require sitting at a desk 6-7 hours per day in front of computer terminal. Must be able to use hands for repetitive action on a daily basis. Lifting up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis and use of computer, telephone, calculator, laser printer, modem and fax on a daily basis. Must be able to climb stairs. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma
- 1-2 years customer service experience
- Experience in health care setting
- Bilingual language skills (Spanish, Hmong, etc.)
- Experience working with NextGen or other EHR system
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Technology skills including computer and applicable software skills
- Ability to work with patients from diverse backgrounds and create a positive environment that demonstrates PPNCS’ commitment to diversity
- Willingness to work with volunteers
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Planned Parenthood North Central States supports people of all ages in making responsible choices and planning their futures. We are an organization committed to creating and fostering an environment that leads to engaged employees, and we believe engaged employees results in satisfied customers and exceptional experiences. When you work for Planned Parenthood you make a difference in the lives of those we serve by affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.
Planned Parenthood is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that effectively employs the skills and talents of all employees in our organization. All applicants will receive consideration regardless of their race, color, creed, sex, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, size, disability, socioeconomic status or status with regard to public assistance. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position. AA/EEO
Any job offer will be contingent upon the results of a background investigation.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)