Provide administrative and clinical leadership for Division. Has primary responsibility for division's overall operations. Responsible for the care of patients in the hospital and clinics, as well as research, educational and advocacy initiatives as determined by the Center leadership.
Medical Doctor (M.D.)
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Medical degree from an accredited medical school. (Required)
Knowledge of current principles, methods and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in the area of expertise. Knowledge of legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care. Ability to function independently in evaluating patient problems and developing a plan for patient care. Ability to incorporate ethical concepts into patient care and discuss these with the patient, family, and other members of the health care team. Ability to supervise, advice, and train clinical professionals and/or students in area of expertise. Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards. Demonstrates a personal commitment to Continuing Medical Education and remains current on the developments and progress in his/her subspecialty. Demonstrates knowledge of and complies with legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care. Previous experience managing a division, department, or program in an academic setting.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Fully licensed and credentialed attending staff category physician on the medical staff of Children's National Medical Center.
Commitment to World Class Care
1. Provide clinical services for patients at Children's Hospital and other approved sites in an ethical, professional and timely manner.
2. Provide oversight of the medical care team and manage direct patient care for a specified patient population; improve continuity of care, customer service and partnerships with community physicians through timely completion of records and communication.
3. Actively participate in family centered care and communicate in a professional and compassionate manner; refer patients to specialists and to relevant ancillary services as appropriate.
4. Appropriately utilize the defined chain of command and escalation policies.
5. Respond to team members and outside physicians in a timely and respectful manner; communicate clearly to trainees expectations regarding patient updates and notifications of significant clinical changes, and encourages questions from trainees.
Commitment to Advocacy
1. Participate in CNMC's advocacy initiatives.
2. Contribute scholarly effort to the advancement of public policy to promote population-based pediatric health and well being.
3. Teach patients and families about treatment, prevention, and care enhancement techniques.
4. Participate in specific health promotion, education and/or prevention programs.
5. Contribute scholarly effort to the advancement of public policy that promotes population-based pediatric health and well being.
Commitment to Research
1. Conduct research of significant scientific value in the clinical and translational science area(s) relevant to his/her practice specialty.
2. Participate in reviewing manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
3. Publish in peer-reviewed, scientific, quality and management journals.
4. Submit applications for grants or contracts for funding of research projects.
5. Sets the research directions for the Division and its members, in concert with the CMO and the Children's Research Institute, CRI.
6. Actively seeks and demonstrates evidence of interdisciplinary research achievement involving disciplines outside of the Division, especially the Clinical Research Institute.
7. Sets the research directions for the Division and its members, in concert with the CMO and the Children's Research Institute, CRI.
8. Participate in research committees, workshop special interest groups, etc.
Commitment to Education
1. Participate in CNMC's medical education programs through learning activities with colleagues and trainees.
2. Participate as appropriate in hospital/university -wide educational programs.
3. Participate as appropriate in local, regional and national educational efforts.
4. Provide timely feedback to trainees.
5. Ensure adequate orientation for the care that the trainees deliver.
6. Promotes and monitors the academic success of the Division's professional staff, ensuring appropriate mentorship for faculty members. Produces an annual report of the academic performance which emphasizes the publishable work product.
7. Supervise and train clinical professionals and students effectively.
Commitment to Quality & Compliance
1. Follow established bylaws, policies and procedures, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
2. Adequately and promptly complete all clinical documentation as required by JCAHO, other regulatory bodies and/or the Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and Policies and Procedures include complete clinical charge documentation.
3. Identify problems related to patient services and make recommendations for improvement.
4. Cooperate and participate in the development, implementation and revision of policies affecting medical practice, judgment and quality of care; Participate as a member of special care teams, Medical Staff and hospital committees.
5. Review and prepare protocol for use by staff. Evaluate patient care according to adopted protocol and Quality Assurance program criteria. Participate in evaluation of peers and support staff; acknowledge and report medical and/or other errors as well as participate in efforts to prevent them.
1. Develop, in concert with the Center leadership, a divisional vision consistent with the mission of CNMC and a strategic plan to implement that vision.
2. Anticipate future strategic, operational and financial trends and consequences in the marketplace, technology and healthcare innovations.
3. Works with the CMO to initiate fundraising activities and direct the philanthropic efforts of the Division.
4. Develop planning scenarios and formulate strategies.
5. Identify and assess all variables that may impact outcomes.
1. Develops, in concert with the CMO; a divisional vision consistent with the mission and message of CNMC; a strategic plan to implement that vision.
2. Establish standards and monitors the clinical performance of the division; develop policies and procedures that are necessary to support the provision of care provided by the Division and the clinical outcome/quality goals of CNMC.
3. Set the research directions for the Division and its members, in concert with the Center leadership and the Children's Research Institute.
4. Take a leadership role in promoting the activity of the Division to enhance CNMC's clinical and academic reputation within the community and, as appropriate, nationally/internationally, and work, in concert with the institution, in marketing of Division activities.
5. Works collaboratively with other Division Chiefs, both within and outside the Institution, to develop multidisciplinary programs to promote optimal care for patients and their families. Actively participate in the hospital activities and committees. Conducts meetings of the Division on a regularly scheduled basis (at least monthly).
6. Assists hospital management in the preparation of annual reports, reviewing and validating external or internal data by approving and signing off on all data released from the division, as required. Takes responsibility for annual reports of clinical activity as necessary for internal review, including documents assembled for external reporting to such entities as LeapFrog, US News and World Report and national clinical databases
7. Supervises or delegates authority (while retaining accountability) for the Division's ACGME requirements for fellowship training, if applicable.
8. Conducts regular and frequent reviews with staff and fellows of mortality and morbidity as part of a thorough performance improvement (PI) process, including documentation of follow up of PI actions needed.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer, Chief Academic Officer, Hospital Chief Executive Officer, or the Board.
1. Establishes programs within the Division, as appropriate, and appoints program directors and develops the relevant job description subject to the approval of the CMO.
1. Develop the educational activities of the Division, including educational activities specific to the Division and the educational needs of the institution as a whole. This may include intramural as well as regional and national education.
1. Ensure adherence within the Division of the hospital and medical staff bylaws and policies and procedures, licensure and renewal of licenses for clinical staff in the division appropriate for all applicable jurisdictions
Human Resources Management
1. Recruit, hire and supervise the Division's staff. Supervise the division's medical staff, including community medical staff.Terminates and/or facilitates outplacement of physicians in collaboration with the CMO.
2. Ensure that performance evaluations, medical requirements and all other organizational circuit breakers for all staff are complete and on time.
3. Align and communicate the vision of the larger organization with the mission, goals, roles and responsibilities of the team.
4. Display empathy, sensitivity, and emotional control when interacting with patients or when coaching direct reports.
5. Maintains the professional standards of the Division, ensuring professional behavior of all Division members, striving to meet the institutions goal of being an employer of choice; is responsible for continuous supervision of the professional performance of the staff of the Division.
6. Promote staff satisfaction through understanding, clarifying mutual expectations, coaching and regular communication.
7. Promote cultural competency in delivery of services to customers and in day to day employee interactions.
1. Participate in financial planning and budget preparation.
2. Develop and manage division budget to ensure financial stability of the division.
3. Track, monitor, and evaluate budget for all line items.
4. Develops the Division's budget and monitors the financial performance of the Division; identifies any financial roadblocks in meeting budgetary goals within the Division after extensive discussion and planning with the CMO.
5. Develop recommendations to meet budget requirements.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
Organizational Commitment/Identification 1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
Teamwork/Communication 1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others' ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility 1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Safety 1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance