Overview:As an HKSDirector of Commercial Interiors, you will be responsible for orchestrating the work of project teams focused on design, development and delivery of outstanding solutions. You will continue to grow your design experience, relationship skills, collaboration and interpersonal skills while working on great projects for exceptional clients.
As a member of a Studio's leadership team, Design Directors also collaborate with other practice leaders across the firm to enhance the culture for design excellence, elevate the quality of design, and achieve recognition for clients and the firm.
People: Lead the growth of our staff as complete professionals:
- Recruit top industry talent
- Work closely regarding hiring, performance evaluations, developmental reviews, employee work performance, learning, professional development, bonus review, and promotions;
- Project leadership skills by motivating employees enabling them to reach their individual potential
- Maintain a positive team environment
- Provide an "open door policy" allowing individuals to communicate and interact freely
- Build staff capabilities programs that improve design, communication, technical, and management skills
- Lead professional development ensuring employee goals are monitored throughout the year linking them to studio/firm-wide goals
- Provide a creative, inventive, interactive, nurturing environment employing an effective, organic mentoring program
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Represent the interests, concerns, and problems of the studio to ensure issues are addressed and resolved expeditiously
- Communicate employee issues/requests immediately to HR to avoid escalation
- As it relates to staff, monitor and evaluate the business and financial operations to ensure an efficient/effective studio
- Ensure key experienced studio members are made available and contribute to the growth of the studio and connect dots regarding projects within other studios and across the firm
Client Relationships: Center existing and new client development on thought leadership, market understanding, and create connections throughout the firm
- Build a portfolio of strong long-term client relationships
- Consistently market/develop new business placing a strong emphasis on positioning HKS to maintain repeat business, win new projects, and increase HKS' global visibility
- Ensure prompt, thorough, and timely responses to all proposal/qualifications requests
- Work closely with our marketing department to ensure BD reporting, lead generation, fee development, project marketing and proposal writing
- Build and continuously improve the external firm image by actively participating in appropriate organizations and connecting/maintaining significant relationships with current/potential clients
- Build our internal image of within HKS - carrying the banner for continuous improvement, profitability, and value
- Know HKS' firm-wide/ Corporate studio portfolio.
Design & Delivery: Maintain positive client relationships with all projects assigned to our Studio. Attend client meetings, lead and participate in brand strategy, review conceptual development and provide leadership, inspiration and motivation to the design team to ensure the highest quality design and documentation is produced and client satisfaction is achieved.
- Create a culture of impactful design focusing on invention, curiosity, inspiration, openness, collaboration, knowledge and recognition
- Ensure the work reinforces our design culture and delivers fully in the areas of ethical practice, thorough execution, and thoughtful impact
- Seek/keep talent that develops informed, purposeful and compelling work
- Be responsible for overall design quality in the Studio
- Monitor design initiatives within the studio and ensure staff can participate in all office design initiatives as well
- Ensure all project designers in the studio engage with the knowledge network to bring the firm's best talent at every appropriate opportunity
- Ensure all projects connect design with strategy to enhance performance of our client's enterprises.
- Maintain the practices of quality review on all projects
- Champion new technologies in which our firm is invested - BIM, etc.
- Maintain a solid core of technical staff in the studio with appropriate experience to deliver quality documents
- Assure well-managed projects assigned to our studio by focusing on the project process, service/delivery, work environment and project documentation
- Build client's trust and loyalty in HKS and develop additional business
- Run a self-sustaining practice within the organization as one of the building blocks of the firm.
- Conduct weekly:
- Project leadership/manager meetings
- Conduct studio meetings
- Staffing - ensure all staff maintain appropriate levels of billability - 80-88%
- Prepare management committee reports
- Start PTO requests
- Establish key studio metrics - productivity, profitability, AR
- Monitor budgets and profitability targets
- Billing/fee management ensuring all financial activities are consistent with HKS policies and procedures
- Manage a discretionary expense budget for the Studio
- Insure awareness of all financial issues
- Foster HKS' one-firm culture and create an environment consistent with the firm's values and strategic goals - ACT AS AN INTEGRATOR!
- Champion a culture of:
- Trust, respect, and support for one another
- Collaboration promoting teams that are multi-disciplinary in nature. An environment that supports, promotes, and celebrates ownership of ideas and processes among all team members
- Curiosity and invention - internally sharing, debating and promoting our best work. Know our peer's and competitor's achievements learning to look beyond our expertise, disciplines, sectors and industry
- Nurture an atmosphere capturing knowledge, developing tools/processes to facilitate access to knowledge
- Internal & External Recognition, unstructured/formal, immediate and long-term
- Dignity, respect, and a professional attitude of HKS -in and out of the office.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited program or equivalent experience. Masters degree preferred.
- Registration or Licensure Required.
- Typically have 15 years of experience, including project management.
If you currently work for HKS, please submit your application via the Internal Careers Portal.
HKS is an EEO/AA Employer: M/F/Disabled/Veteran
HKS is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, advancement, compensation, and termination. HKS’ policies, including its Affirmative Action Programs, are designed to not only ensure legal compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination and retaliation laws, but to carry out the principles of equal employment opportunities in all job categories. Deliberate and conscious effort is made to make employment decisions that are consistent with these equal employment opportunity principles. HKS will recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles, and ensure that all other personnel actions are administered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or disability; and ensure that all employment decisions are based only on valid job requirements. Employees and applicants will not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats, coercion, or discrimination for filing a complaint, assisting or participating in an investigation, compliance evaluation or hearing, opposing and/or exercising any other right made unlawful by Executive Order 11246, Sections 503 and 38 USC 4212, as amended, or their implementing regulations, or any other Federal, State or local laws requiring equal opportunity.