|Job Title:||Temporary Chemistry Intern - CSC|
|Description:||Carnegie Science Center delights, educates and inspires through interactive experiences in science and technology. By making science both relevant and fun, the Science Center's goal is to increase science literacy in the region and motivate young people to seek careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). The Science Center also serves as a town square for community dialogue on science and its social implications and seeks to showcase regional science and technology advances. One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the Science Center is Pittsburgh's premier science exploration destination, reaching more than 700,000 people annually through its hands-on exhibits, camps, classes and off-site education program.|
This chemistry internship at Carnegie Science Center is a truly unique experience. It provides the opportunity for students of chemistry to demonstrate their excitement for science while honing interpersonal and public speaking skills. This internship is ideal for a student of chemistry who may be considering science education as a career.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Eligible Senior Chemistry Majors
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: PARAMETERS:
* Not responsible for administering first aid or CPR
* Must attend all staff trainings as scheduled
* Must demonstrate proficiency in all areas before working independently including cryogenics and flammables.
HOURS: approximately 30 hours per week, including one weekend day. Occasional evenings.
* Presenting science demonstrations to visitors of various ages in the Science Theaters and exhibit galleries; preparing the materials, conducting the activities with visitors.
* Supervising and maintaining the chemistry prep room; maintain inventory of chemical supply
* Assisting presenters in preparing chemicals, props, equipment, and supplies for science demonstration programs
* Conducting research in preparation for future science demonstration programs; must prepare a final report and submit to Carnegie Science Center and Internship Advisor.
* Mastering the presentation of three or more large-audience science demonstration programs
* Upholding our commitment to customer service, our mission to provide science education and inspiration, and our commitment to respecting diversity.
Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is interested in candidates who, through their experience and collaborations, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the Carnegie Museums community.
The following PA Act 153 clearances, or proof of application of clearances, are required prior to beginning employment and as a condition of continued employment:
* Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
* Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
* FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
Obtaining the required clearances is part of the orientation process. However, if you would like more information, please visit http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/clearances/index.htm
Carnegie Museums is an EEO-1 Affirmative Action Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability.