Interstate Companies, Inc., is a dynamic organization that provides rewarding careers for approximately 1,400 employees in its corporate office and five operating units - Interstate AssemblySystems, Interstate BearingSystems, Interstate IndustrialSystems, Interstate PowerSystems and I-State Truck Center.
As we have since our founding in 1957 as one of the world's first Detroit Diesel Engine distributors, we continue to recruit career-oriented individuals who want fulfilling work and opportunities for professional growth. Our employees' commitment to the company and its "Pride in Service" motto helps Interstate Companies deliver exceptional customer service every day.
This role provides a variety of clerical and administrative support for the Human Resources Department. This position can provide support for incoming HR inquiries. Key responsibilities include providing support for HR front desk operations, staffing and on-boarding processes, responding to regulatory and other outside inquiries including verifications and troubleshooting problems to meet colleagues' needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Organize, maintain, process, and update accurately all employee records and files.
- Act as technical resource for employees and administrative employees to address and resolve inquiries and problems relating to the human resources function.
- Compose and prepare letters, memos, correspondence, etc.
- Open, sort, screen and distribute departmental mail.
- Assists with implementation of human resources procedures and processes.
- Maintains the integrity, accuracy, and confidentiality of employee files, both paper and electronic. Locates and places missing information as necessary. Assists in updating and maintaining the colleague handbook and HR forms.
- May answer and direct calls, greet colleagues visiting the HR Department and responds to colleague inquiries and requests for information.
- Assists with compliance and legal issues, including but not limited to Affirmative Action Plan, EEO and Veterans Compliance reports, preparing documents for review with legal resources, etc.
- Assist Recruiter with the hiring process, including submitting job postings and follow through with background and drug screens.
- Assist with benefits offering for new hires and current employees.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
Job Skills Requirements
- Strong computer skills (good knowledge of Outlook, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Must have high level of discretion and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and prioritize
- Pursuing education in HR related degree
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Interstate Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage all qualified and interested persons to apply for this position by submitting a resume for consideration.